Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Monumental Disrespect

Just got back from Washington DC. I spent five days there with husband while daughter stayed with her girlfriend. And i do mean girlfriend. Since they are 15 and 16 years old, at this point it means holding hands. She has a group of friends from the internet, a bunch of literary geeky girls, all of whom proudly think they are bisexual. I think it's kind of in right now to be bisexual. It remains to be seen what their eventual discoveries will be. I just tell my daughter not to label herself, because at 15, she really doesn't know what she is. And believe it or not, she actually listened to me.

These two had never met in person before this trip. So GF(girlfriend) met us at our hotel the first day, where her mother had dropped her off a while before we got there. Then we took them back up to GF's house to make sure her parents weren't 25 year old guys with lots of photographic equipment for making "home movies". It all seemed okay, so after chatting with them a bit, we left daughter there.

I may have more to say on this later, but to all you parents of young children, you'll be dealing with situations you NEVER expected.

Back to DC. You can't swing a dead cat in that town without hitting a monument. It was starting to feel a bit absurd to me when i saw a monument to a guy who built one of the monuments. That took it over the top. We love our monuments. Spent tons of time just walking around. That's my favorite way to see a town.

Took the metro in from up north a bit and ate some great Italian food. We timed it well on the day the World Cup was played by eating lunch at a French place and then dinner at Italian. I always judge the success of a vacation by the quality of the food i ate. I love to eat.

Oh, and only one person asked me how tall i was while i was there. It was a slow week!

No comments: