Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Eleven is my favorite number

I was tagged for this by Sari, rhymes with Mary. (I just like saying that!)

1. If you had to choose one vice in exclusion of all others, what would it be?
Red red wine you make me feel so fine

You keep me rocking all of the time
Red red wine you make me feel so grand
I feel a million dollars when you’re just in my hand

2. If you could change one specific thing about the world, what would it be?
Just one? I don’t think so.
I wish everyone wasn’t in such a fucking hurry to get offended and kill people who think/look differently than themselves.
I wish that reliable contraception was accessible to every woman.


3. Name the cartoon character you identify with the most.
Daria, on Nickelodeon.

4. If you could live one day in your life over again, which day would it be?
I think that day on the beach in November with the Mister when i was 21. That day felt like love to me. Well, maybe there was a bit o’ lust in there too.

5. If you could go back in history and spend a day with one person, who would it be?
Hmmm, can i go back and give birth control pills to Hitler’s mom?
Ok ok, Dorothy Parker.

6. What is one thing you lost, sold, or threw away that you wish you had back?
This series of cartoons that i drew with a friend in 7th grade. They were titled “The adventures of Mish Mouse.” Debbie was exceptionally talented at drawing. One of those people who can dash off 5 squiggly lines and express complex emotions. I can’t draw for beans, but i was funny with the dialogue. I had them for a while and now they are gone.

7. What is your one most important contribution to this world?
Choosing to not continue the cycle of criticism.

8. What is your one hidden talent that nearly no one knows about?
um…i really don’t have any talents, hidden or otherwise. I can raise one eyebrow?

9. What is your most cherished possession?
I will put aside people, because they aren’t possessions. You know, i don’t really own things that i care much about. It’s all just stuff to me. This attitude shocks the Mister sometimes when i don’t get upset about things being damaged, lost, destroyed. I did just buy this cool leather coat though….

10. What one person influenced your life the most when growing up?
I don’t think i can honestly say any one other than my mother. I can still hear her voice in my head some days. Anyone know an exorcist?

11. What word describes you better than any other?
Empathetic. Cynical. Idealistic. Accepting. Silly. Reserved. Oh, and i don’t follow rules i don’t agree with, like trying to describe myself in one word.


25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ye Gods, you have done a fine job with this meme.
I haven't seen Daria in years. I wanted to name Fiona Daria. And Lorenzo inherited my ability to raise one eyebrow, which gives him a certain rakishness.

Mignon said...

You know, you and me, Meno. We really are a lot alike. And I especially identify with #9. Although this laptop I'm communicating on right now is right up there with my firstborn.

urban-urchin said...

great now I'm gonna hear Daria's voice in my head each time I read your blog. Red wine is my beverage of choice as well.

Anonymous said...

Red rules cause Chardonnay barely fuels.
I love that you use cynical and idealistic for number eleven. It's very telling.

meno said...

de, I haven't seen daria in years either, but that flat voice haunts me. The Mister is jealous of Em and i being able to raise 1 eyebrow.

mignon, i did think about my laptop too, not for it's value, but for the information, my life, that is on it.

u-u, Sorry about the voice. Just have some red wine.

patches, nice poetry! That's the truth about me, cynical yet idealistic.

Girlplustwo said...

oh, woman. this one is terrific.

YOU are terrific. i love getting more bits of Meno.

QT said...

Count me in as a fellow red wine lover -and cynic! Though I try to hide that as MY mother told me it was an "unattractive" trait.

This was great - you gave it some thought, and the answers are great.

Lynnea said...

#1 - I love that song. Red wine, bubble bath, good book - aaaahhh.

#2 - ditto on the birth control!

#7 - good for you - this more people ought to do.

#8 - I beg to differ...read your blog lady.

#9 - I feel the same, except for photos. They are like frozen memories. If we had a fire and the kids were out safe, that's what I'd reach for - the photo albums.

#10 - If you locate an exorcist, I'd like their number.

#11 - my favorite thing about you - you rule-breaker!

Mother of Invention said...

Neat meme...required a lot of reflection.
Why don't I know Daria? I love the Peanuts characters.

Hidden talent? How would I know? It's hidden for me also!

My parents sold my 1st stuffed dog, Floppy! Was a cool pajama bag!

Guess cats don't count as possessions, eh? Shucks!

Tink said...

6. They say the things you most regret losing are the things you created as a kid. I tossed mine on my second move. It took two days for it to sink in what I did. Ugh.

8. Me too!

Great meme.

peevish said...

I don't think your writing abilities are hidden but they certainly qualify as a talent!

Anonymous said...

12. Describe Meno's Meme in one word: Very enlightening. (Oops! Broke the rule. Used 2 words.)

Dick said...

A very good list.

Anonymous said...

Wow! By the way, "meno" means "less" in Italian. Is that intentional?

Susanne said...

I absolutely love that. Aren't you tagging anybody?

My favorite was "Empathetic. Cynical. Idealistic. Accepting. Silly. Reserved. Oh, and i don’t follow rules i don’t agree with, like trying to describe myself in one word."

I raise my beer to you. (I'm allowed to, it is 8.30 pm where I am.)

meno said...

jen, Thank you for providing my affirmation for the day. :)

qt, Oh that must have come from the mother handbook because my mother said exactly the same thing.

maggie, someday we will share a bottle of red wine.... but not the bath.

MOI, Daria is from Nickelodeon. If you don't have kids of a certain age you would have missed it. She is a dry witted teenage who speaks in a bored nasal monitone to indicate her world weary attitude.

tink, eyebrow raisers unite!

lisa, aren't you nice! I don't think about writing as a talent. I think i write close to how i speak, except more often in complete sentences.

ortizzle, thanks! Another rule breaker, that's cool.

dick, thank you. :)

anon, i was aware that menos means minus or less in Spanish, but i picked the name from history. Meno is a Socratic dialouge that was written by Plato. It's about the nature of virtue.

suzanne, i feel shy about tagging people with memes. What if they are too cool for memes and sneer at me? But i think i'll tag you, since you asked!

Liv said...

Meno--Love your red wine rock. Seriously, I needed a a little giggle. Now, if you could write one for me perhaps integrating the words bourbon, hooch, and/or Maker's Mark, that would be righteous!

egan said...

Number two ties into my post today. You're wicked.

Bobealia... said...

Love you.

meno said...

liv, Those are the lyrics from UB40 version of Neil Diamond's "Red Red Wine." I did not write them, although i wish i had. I can get behind some Maker's Mark myself.

egan, thanks! You too.

bo, aw shucks, i love you too.

karmic said...

Lovely list. Identify with you very strongly about 1, 2, 8 and 11.

sari said...

Meno, thanks. :-)

Jenn said...

it's a small world after all. I have done the same meme, through seven degrees of seperation, well only really 2 but......

Reading through your blog and enjoying your writing

Jenn

Unknown said...

Man, even your memes are top-notch.

Good to meet another cynical idealist. Or is that ideal cynic?

Hopefully, this comment will only appear once. Let's cross our fingers.

meno said...

sanjay, thank you! So cynical idealist describes you too?

sari, no, thank YOU for the tag.

jenn, thank you for coming by and for your nice comments. Your name link says your profile is not available. How can i find you?

nancy, Thanks! Only one comment, so the fingers worked. I like the picture of champagne.