All my life i have heard this phrase and it never fails to piss me off. I heard it again yesterday and my reaction has not tempered over the years.
My husband/boyfriend won't let me.
I translate this into any number of real meanings, all of them negative.
1) I am spineless and weak.
2) I really don't want to _______ so i am using my husband as an excuse.
3) I am married to a controlling bastard.
4) I am a doormat.
5) I think being a woman means i should cater to my man.
6) I don't want to worry my pretty little head about it.
7) I am an idiot.
8) I don't want the responsibilities of being an adult.
9) I married daddy.
He won't LET you? What are you? Twelve?
UGH! Just UGH.
Over the years i have heard this applied to anything from getting a job to cutting off hair to going back to school. Even once to using tampons instead of pads. I am not making that up either.
This kind of statement is a real conversation stopper. I never know what to say other than "huh." And then i look at her as if she just stepped off of an alien vessel.
Do you ever hear this and does it bother you as much as it bugs me?
This rant was brought to you by an acquaintance of mine, who's husband won't let her drive at night, ever.