Friday, September 29, 2006

Mr. Gump (No, not Forrest)

When we first bought this house, 8 years ago, it was a funny little cabin with a great fireplace and a turquoise ceiling in the living room. One of the first things we did was remodel the bathroom, which was from 1942. I was afraid that someday, while i was in the shower, the floor would give way and i be standing in a broken tub in the basement, wet, naked and very surprised, and maybe with a broken leg to boot. Our contractor found dead rats in the walls among other charms.

Right after we moved in, I found this guy at a store and i just had to buy him. The people who lived here before us had a real moose head on the wall and this one just cracked me up. Em named him Mr. Gump after a creature in one of the Oz books. He looks fetching at Christmas with shiny red balls on his ears, a santa hat and lights strung across his antlers.

After living here for 18 months, we moved out and did a massive remodel that took another 18 months. But after the remodel, the house was ever so much fancier, and the Mister did not want to put Mr. Gump up on our fancy new walls. I, who has much less refined tastes, pouted for 3 years about Mr. Gump not residing over our house. Finally, some people came over a few months ago and we pulled Mr. Gump out of the basement. We were going to give him away to someone who could provide him with a suitable home. These people (whom i had secretly paid $20 each, or i would have if i'd thought of it), fussed and cooed over Mr. Gump so much that the Mister relented.

And so he is back in his rightful spot, amusing me every time i glance his way. I can't wait until Christmas!

13 comments:

Karen Jacobs said...

Good for you... and Mr. Gump!

Marshamlow said...

hello mr gump. so nice when you actually win one, go meno.

Lucia said...

Thanks for sharing Mr. Gump's photo!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE mr gump! I always wanted a moose head (except that it would be creepy, with the eyes lookin at you and all) to decorate for christmas. you are a sneaky sneaky girl, meno; I like your style.

peevish said...

Don't you just love winning??!! Even if it took three years, you never gave up hope. And now, the reign of Mr. Gump has been reinstated. Huzzah!

Josephine said...

Isn't it weird that it took the recognition of others to convince him of Gumps worth?

People are so weird that way.

I like him. He's airy and happy looking. I hope you take a photo of him at christmas for us!!

Anonymous said...

josephine said, "Isn't it weird that it took the recognition of others to convince him of Gumps worth?

People are so weird that way."

Oh, yeah! You see this phenomenon at auctions and you also saw it with the Beetles, where female fans screamed and wept.

Unknown said...

Sweet! I love him. I remember the chracter from the second Oz book. Very apropo.

Kudos for getting him back on the wall!

meno said...

holly, yeah, a real moose head would be creepy. I mean i can't be judgmental about hunting because i eat meat (yum) but i don't really want my dinner looking at me either.

lisa, i view it as a victory for the whole house because he's so funny.

josephine, I've probably been influenced by other people too, but i was glad that they thought he was as cool as i did. I will take an X-mas photo.

nancy, Another Oz-ite! I grew up on those books, and then i read them all to Em. In fact, that's how she taught herself to read because she was annoyed at night when i would stop reading to her, so she picked up the book and off she went. Have you read or seem Wicked? Good stuff.

Imez said...

I found a copy of a picture I grew up with in a thrift store. Rock won't let me put it up. Says it belongs in a 1970's bathroom. Well, duh. That's why it is cool.

Fight the good fight for all of us, dear.One battle won.

Lynnea said...

Please please share your decorated Gump at Christmas time. I HAVE to see him lit up with a Santa hat on. I think he's adorable!

Teri M. said...

Yay for Mr. Gump!

SUEB0B said...

Mr. Gump is cool.